Friday, August 12, 2011

Desert

Desert
  • a land of extreme heat and dryness; sudden flash floods and cold nights
  • a harsh environment, often named 'Death valley', 'the place of no return'
  • very, very dry
    (even wettest deserts get less than 10 inches of precipitation per year)
  • only a few periods of rains per year with lots of time between them
  • during the day, temperature are as high as 100F ; but during the night, tempereature can fall till 40s and 50s.
    (Because deserts have only 10% to 20%  humidity to trap temperatures and have so little trees and other vegetation to cool down heat, the cool down rapidly when sun sets and heat up quickly after sun rises)
Types
  • Hot (main form of precipitation: rain)
    - includes: Thar, Sahara, Monte, Kalahari
  • Cold (main form of precipitation: snow or fog)
    - includes Namib, Iranian, Great Basin, Gobi
Location
  • many are found in bends along 30degrees latitude north and 30degrees latitude south.
  • some located by mountains are are caused by the 'rainshadow' effect.
    - As air moves up over a mountain range, it gets cold and loses its ability to hold moisture - so its rains or snow. When ari moves over to the other side of the mountain, it gets warmer. Warm air can hold lots of moisture, so it doesn't rain as much and a desert is formed.



Deserts of the world



World's Largest Deserts
Desert Location Square
Miles
Square
Kilometers
Sahara North Africa 3,500,000 9,065,000
Gobi Mongolia-China 500,000 1,295,000
Kalahari Southern Africa 225,000 582,000
Great Victoria Australia 150,000 338,500
Great Sandy Australia 150,000 338,50




Deserts of North America
Name
Location
Size Physical
Features
Some Plants & Animals Special Facts
Chihuahuan
North Central Mexico and Southwestern United States (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas)
175,000 mi2
455,000 km2
High plateau covered by stony areas and sandy soil. Many mountains and mesas. cacti, chihuahuan flax, creosote bush, lechuguilla, mesquite, mexican gold poppy coyote, diamondback rattlesnake, javelina, kangaroo rat, roadrunner Largest North American desert. Big Bend National Park located here; more species of birds seen in Big Bend than in any other National Park in the U.S.
Great Basin
Western United States (Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, and Utah)
158,000 mi2
411,000 km2
Covered by sand, gravel, and clay. Many moutains ranges, basins, and large expanses of salt flats. greasewood, sagebrush, shadscale bighorn sheep, jackrabbit, pocket mouse, poor-will, pronghorn antelope, sage thrasher, side-blotched lizard Great Salt Lake located here.
Mojave
Southwestern United States (Arizona, California, Nevada)
25,000 mi2
65,000 km2
Covered by sandy soil, gravelly pavement, and salt flats. creosote bush, desert sand verbena, joshua tree, mesquite bighorn sheep, chuckwalla, coyote, jackrabbit, sidewinder, zebra-tailed lizard Death Valley located in this desert.
Sonoran
Southwestern United States (Arizona, California) and parts of Mexico (Baja Peninsula, Sonora)
120,000 mi2
312,000 km2
Covered by sand, soil, and gravelly pavement. Gets more rain than any other North American desert. agave, coulter's globemallow, creosote bush, desert mariposa lily, mesquite, ocotillo, paloverde, saguaro coati, elf owl, gila monster, kangaroo rat, pack rat, roadrunner, sidewinder, tarantula Most complex animal-plant community of any desert.



Desert Plants
  • home to many living things
  • second only to tropical rainforests in the variety of plant and animal species that live there
  • main adaptions to survive in the harsh conditions are ability to collect and store water and features that reduce water loss
  • Includes old man cactus, prickly pear cactus, dragon tree,






Desert animals
  • must adapt to the harsh conditions to survive; some never drink but gets their water from seeds and plant,  some sleep during the hot day and only comes out at night to eat and hunt, some rarely spend time above ground
  • Includes addax, dingo, fat sand rat, fennec fox




3 Comments:

At March 17, 2018 at 5:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOW I BECAME A VICTOR AFTER SO MANY FAILED ATTEMPT OF GETTING A LOAN.

I feel so blessed and fulfilled. I've been reluctant in applying for a loan i heard about online because everything seems too good to be true, but i was convinced & shocked when my friend at my place of work got a loan from Progresive Loan INC. & we both confirmed it and i also went ahead to apply, today am a proud owner of my company and making money for my family and a happy mom. Well i'm Annie Joe by name from Pauls Valley, Oklahoma. As a single mom with three kids it was hard to get a job that could take care of me and my kids and I had so much bills to pay and to make it worst I had bad credit so i couldn't obtain a loan from any bank. I had an ideal to start a business as an hair stylist but had no capital to start, Tried all type of banks but didn't work out until I was referred by my co-worker to a godsent lender advertising to give a loan at 2% interest rate. I sent them a mail using their official email address (progresiveloan@yahoo.com) and I got a reply immediately and my loan was approved, and I was directed to the Bank site where I withdrawed my loan directly to my account. To cut the story short am proud of my hair stylist company and promise to testify to the world how my life was transformed.. If you are in need of any kind of loan, i advise you contact Progresive Loan INC and be financially lifted Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565



 
At June 4, 2018 at 2:52 AM , Blogger mermaid said...

Thank you so much for your blog.From this blog i get lot of information about desert.If you know more about me,you should visit
list of universities and colleges in india . Thank You

 
At October 5, 2021 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Mrs. Carolin Glowski said...

HELLO GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home