Friday, August 12, 2011

Taiga

Taiga
  • largest biome
  • primarily a coniferous forest (evergreen trees with needles)
  • located between 50degrees latitude north and the Arctic Circle
  • fewer animal species
  • very very cold in the winter ; but snow and ice melts in the warm summer
    (Insects breed in melting water)
  • sun shines for days in the summer- near the top of the world
  • In the spring, birds come to nest and lay eggs and eat the plentiful insects


Facts
  • Average temperature is below freezing point for 6 months each year
  • total yearly precipitation is 12-33 inches.
    (Most comes from the warm, humid summer months instead of snowfall in cold winter)





  • Taiga Temperatures
    Low High
    Winter -65 F (-54 C) 30 F (-1 C)
    Summer 20 F (-7 C) 70 F (21 C)

  •  Long nights in winter and long days in summer
    (Due to the tilt of Earth on its axis)
  • prone to wildfires
    (adapted by growing thick bark)
  • Decomposition is slow
    - Because of cool temperature
    - Undecayed vegetation builds up on forest floor
    (feel like sponge)
    - soil is thin and lacking in nutrients
    (trees grow taller when warmer temperature allow faster decompositon, or by streams and rivers which carry nutrients from higher ground.
Taiga Plants
  • large and seemingly homogeneous
  • acres and acres of exact same species










Taiga animals
  • life can be cold, dreary and diffcult due to snow, cold and a scarcity of food
  • taiga animals must adapt to survive ; some migrate, some hibernate, some simply cope with the environment
  • Includes hawl owl, pine grosbeak, ermine, lynx, wolverine






    1 Comments:

    At October 5, 2021 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Mrs. Carolin Glowski said...

    HELLO GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home